Links to other sites related to geographical names
BC Geographical Names is not responsible for the contents of documents linked to this site. Inclusion of materials on this website is not an endorsement of any agency or individual.
- Archives Association of BC - links and addresses for all community, corporate & academic archives in BC, including a description of the extent, nature and scope of their holdings.
- BC Archives - on-line access to the province's Vital Statistics, visual & cartographic records.
- Geographical Names Board of Canada - a national committee, dating back to 1897, comprised of a representative from each province and territory, and from various federal departments concerned with mapping, translation, statistics, archives, defence, national parks and Indian lands. The GNBC is co-ordinated by a Secretariat in Ottawa; the Secretariat itself has no power to accept or reject a particular name (the authority to accept or reject geographical names lies with the province or territory where the feature is situated, or the federal agency that administers the property).
- MLA Finder - alphabetical listing of communities in British Columbia, and their respective electoral district and MLA.
- Royal Canadian Geographical Society "making Canada better known to Canadians and to the world" - with links to Canadian Geographic magazine, and specialty maps, atlases & cartographic products.
- Thesaurus of Geographic Names - locate named places throughout the world using the official, vernacular, historic or English name; contains entries for 900,000 places world-wide, plus dates of incorporation or change.
- US Geographical Names - query by name to access almost 2 million physical and cultural geographic features in the United States.